Thursday, December 26, 2013
Styles of Teaching & Coaching
Styles of Teaching is a way to organize and present the learning experience to an athlete. Here is a list oof teaching styles as appropriate.
1. Command Style: the most common form of gymnastics instruction. Great for athletes who have little to no experience and is used with direct supervision. Effective when presenting a new skill to a group of athletes, for demonstrating and showing the correct form and technique of the skill. Very effective for larger classes and team sizes.
2. Problem Solving Style (movement exploration): A problem is poses by teacher or instructor and the athlete or student try to solve the problem and during this stage it involves direct supervision. This approach is very creative, is highly supervised in the beginning stage and causes the athlete to use critical thinking. This style involved indirect after the student has attempted to solve the problem , but direct while the problem is posed and explained. Great to use this approach for creativity, thinking and freedom.
3. Practice Style: is somewhat similar to the command style. A demonstration is given and the student are allowed to practice the skill that was demonstrated. The instructor watches and gives feedback and corrections. This is style is great for teaching a new skills and focusing on key elements of the certain skills.
4. Task Style: involves learning different skills at the same time. The instructor selects a few skills, they observe the students and provide feedback. This gives students the opportunity to make decisions of the skills that is demonstrated and to work on their own pace. This style is a mix of indirect and direct. This is style is great when athletes are practicing specific skills or leads up.
5. Reciprocal Style: athlete work in pairs or small groups, they provide feedback and instruction to one another, there is a lot of interaction, emphasize creativity and this style lies between indirect and direct supervision. This is style is great for when athletes understand the skills and can provide feedback to other athletes.
As a coach and instructor I use all the styles, sometime in one session. For example (gymnastics) if I am teaching a newer classes-a class of students who are new to the class and skill I will use the command style. During the command style I teach the basics of the skills, the name of the skill and the proper position and the why you do this way. You want to create muscle memory and use the terms will help you in future instead of demonstration you will then start to call the skills names out and the students will know what to do. During floor drills I use a mix of command style and practice style. Floor drills I demonstrated a skill, the student observe and then they perform the skill. As they perform the skill I provide them with feedback. I use the Command, Practice, and Task Style during the obstacle course. I demonstrate each skill at each station (some time I will use a student to demonstrate the skill ), the students observe, before they start I ask the student to tell me what each station skill is because this this reminds them what they need to do, to test if they are paying attention, to keep the classes active, to make sure everyone know what they are doing and to keep a ongoing flow (you want the students to be moving and learning as much as possible. The reciprocal style I like to use when there’s a not a lot of stations so I double the students up, they work together, they spot and students give each other feedback. I also like to use this style during condition and handstand drills. This is just for a beginners class for advance, cheer, acrobatics and or dance I use the styles in different ways. Once you know your students –the style will come to you after a way it will become second nature. Some times it is a just a preference.
Thanks for reading: YEC ~ www.YoYoElastiCheer.com ~ Where Cheerleaders are Elastic & Fantastic!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment